Video Posting Guidelines
We've heard from many users in our community that you want to use Synthesia to do cool stuff. We're happy about that. Sometimes, however, people go too far and do things that make the community think that their products and services are connected with or endorsed by us or even produced by us. We are not happy about that. Especially when people do it deliberately to take unfair advantage of the community and our work in that way. When that happens, fans buy things thinking they are official when they are not. That means we can't control quality etc. which diminishes the value of the work we have done and the trust that our community has in what we do.
We want you to keep doing the cool stuff that you do and so these guidelines are intended to help everyone understand what we consider to be fair and unfair use of Synthesia. The purpose of these guidelines is to give some clarity on what you can do without having to contact us and what you mustn't do or else we will have to contact you. We hope you understand.
Essential RequirementsThe first thing to say is that there are Essential Requirements that apply to all uses of Synthesia. If you are using any part of our trademarks, brands and/or any of our assets, then what you are doing MUST:
- NOT make people think that you or what you are doing is official; approved or endorsed by us; or associated or connected with us;
- NOT be unlawful, deceptive, obscene, harmful or disparaging;
- NOT take action that would harm or damage any of our brands or any of our assets;
- NOT include anything else around it that makes people think that you or what you are doing is official; approved or endorsed by us; or associated or connected with us;
- comply with the relevant EULA; and
- sufficiently differentiate the use of any name you are using from any other branding.
We are very relaxed about things you create for yourself. Pretty much anything goes there - so go for it, have fun, and just don't distribute anything we've made.
We are also quite relaxed about other non-commercial things so feel free to create and share videos, etc.
However, if you want to use the Synthesia name in the title of a product that you distribute or service that you provide (even if it is for free) then you have to:
- follow the Essential Requirements;
- do so in a way that honestly and fairly describes those things or the purpose of them;
- ensure that the name (which includes any confusingly similar name) is not the first word, doesn't use any other aspect of any of our brands or assets as part of any related branding, including as or as part of any logo; and
- make it clear that the product is unofficial and not from Synthesia LLC or approved by Synthesia LLC.
This applies especially if you want to set up and run any non-commercial blogs, community forums, or fan sites.
We are less relaxed about commercial things. You may not use Synthesia as the main name or title of commercial things.
You may use the Synthesia name in a secondary title if you:
- do so because it is necessary to honestly and fairly describe those things or the purpose of them;
- follow the Essential Requirements;
- ensure that the secondary title (which includes the Synthesia name or any confusingly similar name) is not the dominant element or the distinctive part of the complete name or title; and
- don't use any other aspect of any of our brands or assets as part of any related branding, including as or as part of any logo.
You may not make any other commercial use of any of our brands or assets. For example, you may not sell any merchandise that uses any of our brands or assets and you definitely may not use the Synthesia name as keyword or search tags for products that have no relationship with them or that are infringing or counterfeit.
We love the idea of people doing cool things with Synthesia and sharing those things with the community. That's something we totally support and encourage. So please feel free to do so but please also make sure you don't go too far.
Videos and Screenshots
You are allowed to put footage of Synthesia on YouTube or any other website. In fact, we like you doing so.
So long as you stay within the Essential Requirements:
You may create, use and distribute videos of you playing or using Synthesia for any lawful reason. You may also make money using your videos of Synthesia through, for instance, ad revenue.
The use of music in Synthesia videos is a separate matter from these guidelines. You may need to obtain additional permissions from the owner of the music.
(Thanks to Mojang for inspiring the language in these guidelines. Our sentiments are remarkably similar to theirs.)